Saturday, August 13, 2011

Summer Salads

It's hot here. Way too hot for me to even want to eat. Ok, not really, but it sounds dramatic and I hope it helps me get my point across :) I am over it. And, trust me, up until this point I have been that girl who claims to loves summers in the South. I mean, we should be used to high temp and humidity. The fact that I am huddled up inside with the air blowing and the shades closed instead of suntanning by the pool speaks volumes. Summer salads have been one of my favorite things to eat this summer. Light, refreshing, and cool, Yes and thank you. Enjoy :)

Watermelon and Cherry Tomato Salad

1 seedless watermelon; cut into small chuncks
1 pint cherry tomatoes; halved
1/4 cup fresh basil; juilenned
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher Salt & Pepper

Mix the sugar and balsamic into a small sauce pan. Bring to a low boil and cook until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a glass cup and place in the fridge to cool completely. About 30-40 minutes

Meanwhile. in a bowl, combine the watermelon and cherry tomatoes. When the balsamic mixture is cool, pour over watermelon and tomatoes. Add fresh basil and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper

Cucumber, Pepper, and Red Onion Salad

1 yellow pepper; cut into a large dice
1/4 of a red onion, sliced very thin
3 tomatoes; seeds removed and diced
4 small cucumber; sliced
Kosher Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Place all ingredients into a bowl. Mix together well.



No comments:

Post a Comment