Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Baking 101

I can't believe that ten years ago, baking/pastries was what I wanted to pursue in culinary school. I have lost most of those skills. Or maybe just my passion for it. Every now and then I do have to bake something. Last week, I needed to bake a dessert for a small dinner party. Something "light". I chose to make an Angel Food Cake with an Orange Glaze and Fresh Berries. It was good, but didn't turn out too pretty, so I covered it with powdered sugar. Problem solved. Enjoy :)


2 cups sifted superfine sugar (put in a food processor to make superfine)
1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups egg white (10-12 eggs) at ROOM TEMP (I let mine sit out for 6 hours)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange zest

Preheat oven to 350

Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with the flour and sift.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar. With a whisk attachment, beat on high until the eggs make a medium peak. About a minute. Then, turn the speed to medium and SLOWLY add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Literally, I sprinkled mine in. Whisk for a few minutes until it appears shiny. Whisk in the vanilla and orange zest and beat for 1 more minutes. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in with a spatula. Continue adding 1/4 cup at a time until it is all incorporated. Pour mixture into a bundt pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove and let cool, upside down on a rack, for at least an hour.

For the Glaze :

1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Whisk all ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle all over COOLED cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment