Friday, June 24, 2011

Crab Cake Date..... For Three??

Let me explain...... About 13 years ago, I invited a guy, who I had a major crush on, over for dinner. I definitely wanted to impress. So I cooked one of my fav dishes at the time, Crab Cakes. When the doorbell rang that night, I went to find my crush at the door. With a friend. Hmmmm. Not a good sign when your date brings a friend along! He, however, remembers it differently. He says I invited his friend to tag along on our date. No way. I'm sure I wouldn't have done that. To this day, we continue to remember things differently :) Regardless of who is right (me), and at the request of my sister, I wanted to share this yummy recipe.

Crab Cakes (makes about 10)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion; small dice
1/2 cup celery; small dice
1/4 cup red bell pepper; small dice
1/4 cup yellow pepper; small dice
1 tablespoon garlic; minced
1 pound lump crab meat
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley; chopped
3 tablespoons creole or dijon mustard
1 lemon; juiced
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons creole seasoning
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
Kosher Salt & Pepper
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Water
Veggie Oil for frying

In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and peppers. Season with salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Place in a bowl and let mixture cool. When it has cooled. Add the green onions, parmesan, parsley, mayo, mustard, and juice of 1 lemon. Mix together - then gently add the crab meat and 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Mix (with your hands) until everything is incorporated. I use a 1/3 measuring cup to make sure all the patties are the same size. Scoop them all out and place on a platter until ready to cook.

On a plate, mix together the flour and 1 teaspoon creole seasoning. In a bowl mix together the 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon water. Then, on another plate mix together the remaining bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon creole seasoning.

Dredge each cake into flour first, then the egg wash, then the bread crumbs. After you have done all patties. Heat 1/4 cup veggie oil in a nonstick saute pan. Cook cake for about 4 minutes on each side. As soon as you remove them from the heat, sprinkle them with the remaining creole seasoning.

Sauce :

1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup onions; chopped
1 whole lemon, skin removed, and cut in half
2 bay leaves
6 tablespoons cream
2 sticks unsalted butter; cut into small pieces and very cold
2 bay leaves

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients EXCEPT the butter, lemons, and cream. Cook over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes. Add the lemons and mash down with a spoon. Add the cream and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Next, whisk in the butter one piece at a time until all of the butter is gone. Strain sauce into a clean bowl. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment