Monday, June 13, 2011

Two Things I Love

Cast iron skillets and one pot meals. Just like everyone else out there, I despise doing the dishes. It's one thing when I cook for family or friends who are so sweet to clean up after me when I cook. But, when I am at work, there's just little ole me. After about cooking for 3 or so hours every night, you can just imagine my pile of dirties. I know you are probably thinking I should clean as I go. And I should. But I don't. SO, anytime I get the chance to make a dinner in just one pot, I jump at it! Tonight, I made a version Coq Au Fin. Simple and delicious. I didn't have any wine on hand tonight, so I improvised with beer. Corona to be exact. This is my version of French meets Mexican Coq Au Fin.

1 whole chicken; cut into 8 pieces (you can also buy the chicken already cut or ask the butcher to do it for you)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter; divided
4 leeks; white & pale green parts only; chopped
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
4 garlic cloves; chopped
4 carrots; sliced
1 1/2 cups white wine (or beer, or red wine)
8 small red potatoes; cut in half
1/2 cup creme fraiche, or heavy cream. If you are trying to watch your fat intake, use greek yogurt. Make sure it is at room temp before adding
Kosher salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Pat the chicken dry. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium high heat. Brown the chicken in batches. Transfer to a plate and lightly tent with foil.

Pour off the fat from the chicken and add the remaining butter. Add the leeks and saute for about 8 minutes until soft. Add the carrots, potatoes, shallots, and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken, skin side up, and your liquid of choice. Cover pot and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

When chicken is done. Remove chicken from the pot and place on a platter. Strain the vegetable mixture into a bowl. Reserving all of the liquid. Add the veggies to the platter. Next, add the cooking liquid back to the pot. Bring to a simmer and add the creme fraiche or cream and season with salt and pepper. Spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken and serve the rest on the table with the chicken. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment